28 April 2008

Mother dragged me along to see my sister receive her prize at speech day at dunman high school. Currently Dunman High School is located at the old RJC campus at Ghim Moh, so the venue wasnt altogether unfamiliar. I even knew where the toilets were without looking, thanks to fading memories of REACT that seemed so long ago.
But nostalgia aside, I wasn't exactly comfortable sitting in a midst of parents and eager Dunmanians waiting to receive their prizes. And the fact that I was wearing T shirt and jeans in contrast to a sea of formal wear did little to comfort me. Ah well. Luckily nobody seemed to pay attention. Distractions were abound, the brass band was playing, the NPCC were marching, and the Lion Dance Troop was performing. To while away the time, I read, while mother sat patiently waiting for the ceremony to start. My sister, oblivious to our presence, was chatting excitedly with her friend, fellow bandmate and exclassmate Kee Zhiyin who, incidentally, swept most of the prizes in her year. There's competition everywhere.
Nothing much was worth noting in the ceremony, except that I failed miserably in my task to photograph my sister receiving her award. (She was much too fast!) Perhaps it wasn't the most interesting way to spend the morning, but in my view it was worth supporting my sister in her first year of JC rather than idling at home doing nothing but reading.
After the ceremony, I had a good lunch with mother at the Tanglin Mall foodcourt. Following which, I ambled on to kinokuniya and finally borders at orchard. Something of note: Kino has no seats, while Borders has too little in its Orchard branch. At Borders, the seats were all taken and the soft cushion chairs present at Borders Parkway were no where to be found. So I sat on the floor at the childrens section. :)

On a separate note, I just finished "When We Were Orphans " today in addition to "The Bernini Mystery" a few days earlier. The first was interesting because of its historical setting in world war II and its unique storyline. Though I felt the plot felt similar to some Chinese drama serials. The latter was a good 'ol mystery story with what I felt was a rather clever, if slightly convoluted plot.
Interviewing samuel tay on friday. And getting myself involved in some research, which will hopefully prove a fruitful use of my holidays.
:D

No comments: