25 April 2008

This morning, I finally found a driving instructor! Hopefully my lessons can start next week after I register for my provisional driving license tomorrow.
Now that viva lists have come out, I am both relieved but also slightly disappointed that I wasn't going for any distinction vivas. Ah well. Just work harder next year I guess!

An Account Of A Not-So-Very-Long-Walk
In search of a cure for boredom, I went for a long walk today. Okay, I cheated a bit by taking the bus to Bugis instead of walking there, but it was still a long walk okay!
My first stop was the National Library. I had wanted to see if they stocked any video games that I could borrow using my premium membership, but alas all they stocked were audio books. If I wanted video games or anything of that sort I shall have to make my way to Tampines or Ang Mo Kio.. but wait a minute.. Marine Parade also hosts a collection! hah! But I knew that already. My findings today just confirmed the fact that the national library is not a good place to borrow video games from. But I did borrow two books, one a mystery book by Ian Pears the other "When we were orphans" as a more serious read.
Next, I trudged my way down North Bridge Road to Stamford Road and walked all the way to the National Museum. Didn't particularly see much, and not that I had an aim in mind. Simply took a nice long look at the surroundings and the architecture. I didn't want to pay the entrance fees, so I stayed in the free viewing area where there were nice sculptures and displays to look at. The things they have for show are kind of random, like a history of womens fashion in singapore, and an exhibit featuring everyday objects magnetically stuck onto a metal wall (supposed to be artistic i guess)
My next stop after the National Museum was a brief one at SMU. Admired their steel and glass buildings and had a short peek inside. I wanted to go into the library but had no matriculatiion card. Haiz. I initially felt that the strategic location and spanking new premises were great for a school. And they are. But I still prefer the natural greenery around Kent Ridge. No doubt long bus cum train rides can be tiring, but they also provide a time for relaxation and meditation.
Anyway. After leaving SMU I turned into Hill Street and into Funan Centre. I had initially wanted to find a nice game to buy but decided against spending the money. I mean, no point buying when I'm not that avid a gamer, and moreover the internet provides access to so many free games. But for want of something better to do, I went into Challenger and played on their Xbox a bit, following which, I grabbed a bite at Taco Bell and tried their Chicken Taco, which wasn't too bad. But how do you eat it without spilling the filling?!
I had wanted to head home after that, but in a sudden burst of spontaneity at City Hall I headed down CityLink Mall for the Esplanade, a place where I used to frequent to find scores, listen to performances and long ago, perform in. The library disallowed borrowing of music cds, but I was able to find some flute scores - one on classical flute solos and another holding practice pieces along with some tips on flute playing. (Hopefully I will use them.)
From the Esplanade it was another 15 minute walk before I reached my busstop opposite Suntec City Mall.

Total time spent: >< 6 hours

No comments: