It started innocently enough.
I had found out through the Straits Times that my favourite bookshop had moved.
On its grand re-opening weekend I made my way down (post-call even) to sneak a peek at its new premises.
All was well until I ran into a crowd of eager patrons swarming throughout the bookshop.
I should have turned back and gone home, but my kiasu spirit urged me on.
20 percent off! This weekend only!
I braved the throng of people (some just standing around absorbing the atmosphere) and went back and forth the bookstore searching for a suitable buy.
Would it be Roald Dahl's "Ten Short Stories"? Or Yann Martel's "Life of Pi"? Maybe both!
Two books in hand, I headed for a last look at the medical section.
Ah, look - there's the "Pocket Prescriber"! Only $42.78 (which means about $34 after discount).
I quickly search the internet for Amazon's price - which turns out to be USD $22.38 ie. SGD $28.79
Price difference notwithstanding, I chucked the 2 fiction books and whipped out my wallet for "Pocket Prescriber".
I can't say I regret the decision. Not yet anyway.
Most of the books I buy end up being half-read. The more interesting ones I finish off in one sitting and chuck them in one corner.
Medical related ones like "Pocket Prescriber" probably fall into the former. But somehow I feel less guilty buying medical books. And my inner bookaholic is appeased.
Till the next time..
01 November 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment