There are days when I wish I didn't have a hand phone.
Days when I was on call and my phone wouldn't stop ringing.
Days when it was after work and people still kept bugging me about stuff.
Days when the sun is shining and I still feel a nagging need to check my phone.
The constant urge to check my phone surely borders on obsessiveness.
Actually, I can probably survive without a hand phone.
After all, 20 years ago this device hardly existed for the mass market.
It's just that nowadays, there is this pressure to be constantly contactable.
It's like being on call 24/7.
I'm not saying that the hand phone is all bad.
I mean I love its convenience - I can start fiddling with it if I run out of conversation topics at a dinner, play games on it during boring bus rides home, catch up with the news, spy on friends on facebook (yeah I do that) and whatsapp random people.
But I'm not sure if it has made me more socially handicapped.
After all, what did people 20 years ago do when they run out of conversation topics at a dinner table?
Turn on the radio?
Maybe there's a technology for every era.
Maybe I truly can't live without my hand phone.
06 November 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment