On Saturday there was this NHS annual scientific conference thing that I was compelled to go since I had signed up and would face a hefty penalty of 70 bucks if I didn't. Not that I didn't want to, just I felt the day after CAs ended shld be spent doing sth other than academic stuff.
So I went down, and found to my surprise, that I rather enjoyed my morning there. The speaker for the psychiatry talk I went for (a man of rather high standing at IMH) was really engaging, and the topic of discussion - ADHD - was interesting as well.
Then there was this seminar on acupuncture as well - conducted not by TCM physicians but western-trained doctors. I had always been sceptical about the merits of acupuncture but apparently there are rigorous scientific basis behind the therapy. There was even a 'workshop'
whereby the speakers poked needles into the various acupuncture regions of audience volunteers, demonstrating some effect.
Although acupuncture has been in practice for thousands of years, many scientific studies have not proven its efficacy conclusively. So the seminar has not quashed my inner sceptic.
("Massage this acupunture region regularly for better health!" "Hmmm..." I say, while pressing the region of my dorsal interossei)
If side effects are relatively minor, why not?
No comments:
Post a Comment