16 June 2009

The Driving Test... Revisited!

I was pretty nerve-racked during my driving test. Firstly, I started off rather badly at the slope, where I revved the engine but neglected to release the clutch, resulting in a slight but rather embarrassing slip backwards.
Afterwards during my parallel parking, I actually over-reversed after the pole was sighted in my right wing mirror. I had to perform an additional reverse manoeuvre. Worst of all, I was reprimanded when I pronounced my successful completion of parallel parking, because I had not pulled the handbrake and put the gear into neutral. When the tester tapped on his PDA, in my mind I was wondering, "Is he checking the scoresheet?"
All this, I thought, didn't bode well for my test.
Still, I pressed on, completing the S course, crank course and vertical parking in quick succession. All this while my tester continued tapping on his PDA.
I was pretty sure I had failed by the time I left the circuit, and what I was thinking at that time was, "What the heck, I give it my best shot anyway" And compared to the narrow confines of the circuit, the roads were truly a breath of fresh air.
I turned left out of the circuit, crossed the junction, turned left into a small road, turned left out into eunos link, then turned right and headed back into the test centre without much incident, except for changing lanes too abruptly and neglecting to change up gear when I accelerated. (Just once!)
As I waited for my test results, I couldn't help but notice my tester placing some sheet of paper under the "pass" basket. And when he sat down before me to explain my mistakes, all I could focus on was the scoresheet placed upside-down before me. My score seemed to be 10.. the tester congratulated me.. I couldn't believe myself.. I had actually passed my driving test!
At that moment, I was the happiest man in Ubi.

No comments: