"Thump thump" goes the feet. The heart pounds, and I begin panting as I make my way down the pedestrian street.
I am not alone. Secondary school students, foreign workers, local executives traverse the path. Those heading towards me watch for a second as I go past them, the others walking away from me turn their heads around for a glance at the one who makes the footsteps.
I am not daunted. Instead, I redouble my pace, ignoring these curious stares. I intersperse my breaths with my steps into a comfortable rhythm, ignoring the fatigue that is gradually building in my legs. My heart rate increases, my breathing increases in depth and speed. But I tell myself, "I am not tired."
I continue running.
Up and down the street I go. I overtake an middle-aged lady going the same way, only much slower. I reach the end of the path, then make a U-turn to run past her once more. I hope she is not annoyed.
Eventually I finish, sweating, smelly and panting hard. I know my legs will ache, and when I reach home, I may have to wait for the shower.
But the run was worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment