30 December 2009

the cockroach

A cockroach flew into my room. I grabbed a can of Baygon to spray it but it wouldn't die. Then it started flying all over the place, and I realised that the can of Baygon must have been empty with only the aerosol left in the can.
I'm terrified of cockroaches. They are ugly, have long feelers and can fly. The last characteristic gets me the most worried because of the irrational fear that the cockroach may fly into my mouth, eyes, or ears. Cockroaches trigger a reflex in me - I run. Only after analysing how foolish my fear is I sit down calmly and start thinking of spraying at the creature that is making wiggly noises in some crevice of my room.
The sound stops. Maybe the Baygon worked.
And then it starts again, just a tiny bit softer, a tiny bit shorter than the last time.
The cockroach wiggles, and dies.

Somehow I feel sorry for the cockroach.

No comments: