25 February 2010

I just read John Banville's "The Sea". It's a Man Booker Prize-winning story about loss and identity (as mentioned by the backcover). Another book about people with lives filled with sorrow and regret. As the protagonist's wife dies from cancer, he reminisces about his childhood where another tragedy took place. It was interesting comparing how he changed over the years, from a crazed young teenager to a man in his late 50s, each time seeing his loved one go.
Why is life filled with so many regrets? Perhaps life imitates art more than art imitates life.

Fortunately, real life isn't as tragic.
Some random lessons from the informal curriculum of medical school:
1. I've discovered an intolerance of "too many texts" - studying from so many sources that it's impossible where to remember where everything comes from.
2. I think I still need work on reading people's body language. Perhaps I'm the purpose why medical students have tutorials on communication.
3. I'm worried that I may forget how patients are people. And that people have emotions.
4. I think I've learnt that its never too late to ASK.

Well, it's never too late to make some new year resolutions...

No comments: